Saturday, October 27, 2007

15th Anniversary

On October 9, 1992, Brad and I and a lady named Patti, along with 2 of her kids, moved into this location in North Scottsdale. It was my dream house. It was right at twice the size of my last house with a sprawling 3500 sq. feet. Patti, who was my then girlfriend didn't make the cut and was thoughtful enough to move out on Christmas Eve that same year, but that would be another entire story. The house was brand new and still had the builder's people coming around on a regular basis to finish up little items that still needed completing. One day a crew showed up as I was leaving and I didn't even ask why they were here. When I returned home I'd seen they painted the entire house in error. I was lot 20 in Paradise Park and they were supposed to paint the house at lot 20 at Diamond Point, oh well! Workers would ring the bell and walk in to replace all of the shower heads, one time they came in, asked to use the bathroom and left with the toilet. I had this big sprawling house with no window coverings or pool or tile on the floors. I needed to buy everything including enough furniture to make it look lived in.

Brad was a big help to me then. He had the knack that it took to choose these things.
Actually, I was a big help to him by supplying the checkbook. We'd go to a furniture store and Brad would pick out some stuff and I'd just pay for it and negotiate the price a little. I remember establishing a fake name of Chaparral Homes to avoid the sales tax, it worked! There was a place called J & K Furniture that we'd visit frequently. They carried used things and a lot of new things at great prices. I'd go there every week. The first item was our dining room set. It was used when we bought it and that was a good thing, because WE sure as hell didn't use it. After a full 15 years, I think we may have used it twice.

Eventually we picked out window coverings, carpeting, a pool and landscaping, as well as lots and lots of furniture. People tended to come and go often. Brad moved out to live at ASU right around the time I got married. Teresa, my step-daughter moved out with some guy and it was just my new wife and I for several years, then one day she was gone too. There was a lady named Janie that lived here for about a year, another long story that won't be told now.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I am NOT moving in with you!