Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Dating Guy and the Cheesecake Factory..

Here it is Sunday Morning and the taste of the food at the Cheesecake Factory is just now a "fleeting" memory. My choice of the word "Fleeting" is not a coincidence.
Friday night we declared date night and decided to go to dinner. I called Julie at about 6:10 to see how she was doing and she was clearly in a panic mode. Something about her hair doing strange things and nothing to wear was my hint to leave her to her confusion and just continue watching the evening news. She was going to make reservations at PF Chang's, but claimed they didn't answer their phone so she decided we would just go there and wait. After speaking with Barry in Florida and him telling me that it's ALWAYS crowded there, I had a feeling that making a reservation was definitely the way to go, but.....
I had told Julie that I would be there at about 7 and it wasn't until I'd tried about 3 different shirts on that I finally made my way out the door at about 6:40, bringing a change of pants just in case my shirt choice clashed with my slacks. I've been color blind for the past 61 years and it's never easy getting dressed when there is a new item in the wardrobe.
I arrived at Julie's about 7 and she looked great! A navy blue sweater emphasizing her already endowed bust line and tight, low cut jeans and here's the killer............makeup! Maybe we should just skip dinner and stay home?
We headed out and when we got to PF Chang's there was a herd of people spewing out their front door indicating a long wait, hmm..... Down the road was Skye and it offered a slightly higher priced menu, but heck, why not? I felt a little uncomfortable when there were gentlemen standing out in front wearing sport jackets and when we couldn't even find a parking place in their lot, I was pleased to say, let's look elsewhere. Next in line was the Cheesecake factory and in spite of the fact that we had eaten there just last week, it did offer parking and fast turnover.
I was able to score a handicapped parking spot right by the front door and didn't have to listen to Julie complain, but for a moment... We headed in as I gave my official fake limp. As we stood about 4 back in line at the hostess station just to give our names, a young kid came walking out of the bar announcing a high top available in the bar, no waiting. We grabbed it and were able to not only eat dinner, but watch the Sun's game, all at once.
I ordered the Shrimp Scampi and Jules had the barbecued ribs. Her entree was enormous as the restaurant is famous for and my entree was just ridiculous. It offered about six or seven shrimp in a lemon butter spicy sauce and a clump of angel hair pasta, under cooked and forming what appeared to be a snowball. Julie is a confident eater. I would never order anything as messy as ribs is a public place, but she maneuvered nicely and never once used her hands, which would have frustrated me. She did complain that the ribs were making her sick, however. I ate my 7 shrimp and tossed my snowball around the plate a few times prompting the waitress to ask if everything were okay. I assured her it was and tossed my napkin onto my plate. It appears that the Suns did better than us, winning 98 to 91 over the Miami Heat!
The check came and we volleyed for position with me winning 2 to 1. I paid cash and Julie helped me by cheering me on to leaving an obnoxious tip of $15 on a $60 bill, but it makes her happy, so.....
I've never mentioned it, but Julie gives directions like a drunken sailor in a strange port. Right-left lane, turn here, no not here, are some of her directions, but I always start out with plenty of gas so it's fine. Eventually we find out what she means and get home.
When we entered, Pawpaw was plenty glad to see us particularly with his barbecued rib offering. I changed into the jeans that I had brought and we went outside to make a fire in her backyard pit and she smoked a really stinky cigar, still a deal breaker!
We went into the house and an extended exercise session, one that broke the record for calories burnt, necessary after a big meal. I drove home around midnight noticing that my stomach was making some unusual shrimp noises that certainly would have to be addressed soon...

No comments: