Thursday, November 15, 2007

Everyday Trials

Not too long ago, I asked my doctor for some sleeping pills, as I was having a difficult time falling asleep on occasion. He was reluctant to prescribe them as they are occasionally addictive and also there has been some press about Ambiance causing sleep walking. After my surgery some doctor gave me sleeping pills and I was hooked on them immediately and had a difficult time sleeping at all without them. Eventually I took the monkey off my back by going several nights without sleeping and eventually got back into some kind of pace.

What my doctor did suggest was Benadryl. It's non-addictive and does about the same as sleeping pills. Here is my experience with the delightful antihistamine. I found that the makers of Benadryl put their product into packaging that is not only child-proof, but it takes an engineer about 20 minutes to figure out a way to penetrate the outer packaging. This is why they are so effective for sleeping. It takes the average person about 3 and 1/2 hours to get through the plastic seal surrounding the little pill and by the time you've accomplished it, you're exhausted! First you have to have either finger nail or a razor blade to peel off the plastic backing, then penetrate the hard plastic outer seal and eventually tear the tin foil inner protection. This is the same protection that the FAA uses to protect the black box that reports the reasons for airplane crashes.
I have a suggestion for the makers of Benadryl. Why not just put their pills inside of Pistachio shells that don't have an opening, they'd be easier to access!

No comments: