Sunday, December 16, 2007

You Shoulda Backed Everything Up, blah, blah, blah!

With the recent demise of my old computer, and let's face it she should have a name. She was an eMachine, let's call her Emily. I was told by a formerly intimate friend that, "I should have backed up everything". Man, formerly intimate friends can be overbearing, don't you think? Well, Julie was right, I should have, but who thinks of it everyday while things are going great? Then, when the puff occurs, all you have are your memories and an old laptop that is missing the N's and P's!
It became pretty evident that I was in trouble when someone wanted a picture of me and all I had were a couple of pics of myself the day I was discharged from heart surgery 3 years ago. I lost all of my valuable pictures of old friends and family. How sad...
I wasn't going to talk about it, but I had a pretty scary night. Sometime in the middle of the night I had a pretty scary experience. Not knowing what time it was, I looked over at my clock that I keep next to my bed to see what the time was and that's when it hit me, I HAD GONE BLIND! I can usually see through the shutters a little and there's a street light outside, right next to my driveway that is always lit, but for some reason it wasn't lit last night. Then, when I looked over at the clock, it was dark too and there wasn't a shred of light in the room anywhere. Had I gone blind? Was it morning and how would I know if I'd lost my eyesight? You have to admit, if you've read my blog that some pretty scary things have happened to me when I awaken. I awakened in a hospital setting once and it turned out NOT to be a dream, like I'd thought. Was I blind and how do I find out for sure? I was too tired and scared to get out of bed and start bumping into things. I'm alone and there was no one to ask. I dozed back off to sleep for awhile and was pleasantly awakened by my clock flashing 12:00 in my face, over and over again. The power had gone out and I knew it had to be one or the other. I'll take a power outage every time compared to blindness!
I spent the afternoon much like yesterday, after I found about 72 old lost emails I had written in 2003 and 2004 on my old laptop. I spent 3 hours cutting and pasting each of them onto a fresh piece of paper and sending them from my old AOL account to my Gmail account where they can be saved indefinitely.. Maybe someday I'll even back them up too! It seems that back then, I was quite the "playa".... HA!
If you don't see too many pictures on my blog in the future, at least you'll know why...
Mel, the "PLAYA"!!!!!

No comments: