Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Fastest Woman on Earth...

In 1996, I found myself spending a lot of time with a woman that was quite unusual. Quirky, some might say. Once we were vacationing in California around Newport Beach. We decided to go to a popular shopping center that promised to have all of the elite shops and Lolita was anxious to get there already. We were crossing a busy street and in an effort to stay together during this complicated crossing, I either put my arm around her or held her arm, I'm not sure which. Suddenly, Lolita pulled away and screamed, "what are you doing"? Shocked, I just said I was hold on to you so that we'd stay together. Panicked, she replied, "What if I have to speed dart, to avoid getting hit by a car"? I just looked at her for a long time, shook my head, mumbled something, apologized and we crossed the street to the shopping center.
The following day, we were going to the San Diego Zoo. We parked our car quite a distance from the zoo and we were walking along when suddenly the weather changed. A massive cloud presented itself and the temperature dropped about 15 degrees, as happens when a storm is getting close. Lolita folded her arms and told me that she was cold and wished she had brought her jacket along, that was in the car. We were a good 3 blocks from the car and I was getting the impression that she wanted for us to walk back and get her jacket. My first thought was that the cloud would pass and the temperature would rise, but I could see that wasn't going to happen. After a long pause and just staring at her for a minute I answered, "Why don't you just "speed dart" over and I'll wait here. Shouldn't take you but a few seconds"?
Mel
1-30-08

No comments: