Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Two Best Friends...




My two best friends in the whole world both circle before they lay down. They each have 4 legs and no arms, yet they maneuver beautifully. With the rare exception of needing an opposing thumb occasionally, they can do almost anything. Bogie, the boy, even knocks on the door to come inside and lets me know when he wants to go out by opening the door with his nose and gently letting it shut, looking back to see if I got his message. He speaks to me and asks for things. It's not like he asks for outrageous things like some of my former wives, it's usually just a cookie. They don't know how to tell time, yet they always know when it's time to eat and gently nudge me if I'm busy on the phone or preoccupied with business. By the way, they will not subscribe to daylight savings time and I agree that it's just silly. My two friends are Great Danes, also known as Gentle Giants. You really wouldn't know that by the way Zoie, my little girl, a mere 120 LB ran at me at full speed in a playful way. I thought certainly she's break to the left or right and miss me, but no.... She hit me at full speed wanting to play. I doubt that they feel pain the same way a 62 year old man experiences it, hmm..... I limped away wishing she were a Yorkie, but she never knew it. Zoie is Bogie's girl. Bogie is my big boy. He's an amazing 300 LB of harlequin poetry. He was lonely and so I searched high and low for a female for him and finally selected Zoie. The have been in love since the day they met and shared a tug-o-war with a rope. It was love at first sight. Although they've never tied the knot, they've been engaged for the past 9 years. That crazy pair just won't set a date! Recently, mirroring real life, they asked for separate beds. It started out, if he was in the bed, she insisted on sleeping on the couch. I went to the goodwill and bought a second bed. Now they're sleeping in twin beds. He says she stinks, she says he snores. Now everyone is happy. Bogie's 10 and Zoie is 9 and I know when they turn 16 they won't ask for a car!










Mel





6/07/08




No comments: