Monday, July 21, 2008

Actually Meeting, "The Fonz"...

When I got home today, Oprah was on the TV that I leave on for the Dynamic duo. I'm not sure if they like that show, but they never complain. To my surprise, I heard the voice of an old friend of mine, but one that I don't stay in touch with. It was Henry Winkler.

In 1980 or so, I was freshly divorced and had met my first girlfriend, a Jewish lady named Marsha. Marsha was the typical JAP. Long fake nails, always on display, freshly done coif from the neighborhood beauty parlor, tighter than she could stand to wear jeans with a designer emblem on the pockets and to add insult to injury, she was from this country's East coast and had the accent to prove it. The word "materialistic" got lost on Marsha and she took it to another level.

One weekend a group of us decided to all go to Slide Rock in beautiful Sedona. Oddly enough, on that same trip, we saw Peter Falk driving a rented station wagon headed in that direction too. When we passed him, someone yelled out, it's Peter Falk and we started honking and he acknowledged us with a friendly, one eyed, wave back. It was really him! We continued our trek North and finally arrive at Slide Rock, about 110 miles away from Phoenix. We parked in the parking lot of the state park and had to descend down the rocks to the river that hits rocks and forms a natural water slide to the next plateau. When Marsha saw where were going she whined, I caaan't climb down there in my heeeeels, whaaaaa..... She decided to wait in the car above for us and frankly I enjoyed the break from her whining.. That left about 5 of us enjoying the most beautiful of sights... If you ever get a chance to see Sedona and Slide Rock, take advantage of it, it's worth the effort. I walked along alone for a time while my friends were enjoying the sights, when suddenly I saw a guy that looked familiar to me. At first I thought I knew him from high school and approached him. I walked up to him and said, I know you from somewhere.. He, never breaking stride said, I know you do. I said, is it from high school, I went to Niles Township High School. He said, no it's from television, as he continued to walk. Suddenly, a rush of thoughts went through my mind and when they all stopped, I screamed, "You're the Fonz"! He was walking with a young boy about 9 or 10, probably his son. He smiled and said, yes I am. I then told him if he shook hands with me, I wouldn't tell anyone else. He smiled and reached out his hand. We shook hands and I kept my part of the bargain for about 30 seconds until I got back to my friends..

A little while later, I climbed up the hill to the parking lot and miserable Marsha. I told her of my discovery and she was starting to tell me she didn't believe me, when Henry Winkler's head popped up over the hill as he and his son were going to their car. She couldn't contain herself and yelled, "Hoi Henry, weee're Jewish too"!!! Cringing from embarrassment, I sank into the driver's seat and waited for our friends and headed back to Phoenix. I couldn't wait to get home, so I could call my boys and tell them who I met. I don't think I ever saw Marsha again...

Mel
7/21/08

No comments: