Monday, September 22, 2008

My Last High Shool Fight...

I got called to put in a shift at the sweat shop, although now that I am learning my way around the job, it seems more like a sweet shop. My shift started with a phone call and the boss was in a delightful mood, left over from the weekend. She asked me if I'd like to work today and if so, to come over. I told her I'd just shower and drive right over, but took some time to eat a light breakfast. The next phone call, as I was still standing in my kitchen was from the boss asking what I wanted for lunch. I didn't want to tell he I still had a mouthful of eggs from breakfast. I wolfed down the food and got into my car and drove to the West side location to be greeted with a friendly kiss on the cheek. I hope she doesn't greet all of the employees that way, but alas, she does. The she puts a Styrofoam container in my hand and tells me that she got me the avocado and turkey sandwich from AJ's. The price was still on it and it was more than I earned in an hour!

I worked as efficiently as possible and was shadowed my Jason, my 17 year old nemesis. Jason mumbles and giggles and I seldom ask him what he's said, because I've learned that it really doesn't make any difference. He has the mind of a 17 year old and not a mature one. I tried to stress to Jason that he should really respect this job, as his 4 hour shift probably earned him $160 and there isn't anywhere that he can duplicate that. His answer was he could just quit working and wait a year for his enlistment to take place and he heads out to Kentucky for military training. Yep, that's a plan...

Next I jokingly mention that when I left my reading glasses there, another employee wore them and never bothered to clean them. Jason suggested I fight him. That brought back all kinds of memories and my last high school fight. I was wailing the shit out of this guy and he got in a lucky punch and caught me in the nose, making it bleed. Everyone started breaking up the fight saying that the other guy was the winner, as he drew blood first. I protested saying my nose bleeds all of the time, I can kick his ass! Sadly, I went down in the high school record books as losing that fight with Chuck Goldstein that day at Barry Koragodsy's house. Later Chuck and I worked together at a department store and I still always wanted a rematch, but never got it. I put in a 40 hour week and took home $55.65 a week. I didn't tell that to Jason though...

I think I figured out why the boss called me in to work today. She's heard this story and knows I work cheap!

Mel
9/22/08

No comments: