Friday, October 17, 2008

A Realization...




An experience that took place yesterday morning made me realize that we give our animals too much credit for being intelligent. What we consider to be inherently understood is only for humans and dogs and other animals might not be privy to these exact things. Here is how it played out and I'll describe my observation.

Zoie is a 120 LB Great Dane and not the smartest dog I've ever known. Although she is endearing, she has probably caused me more physical damage of any dog I've ever had. Yesterday morning I was trying to get a little extra sleep after being up pretty late with Bogie, my male Great Dane that has been pretty ill of late. Zoie wanted me to get up and out of bed and to convince me she whines and lays her wet mouth on my hand. I intentionally keep my eyes closed to simulate sleep and out of no where, she jumped up on top of me scratching the hell out of my arm, both upper and lower and causing me to bleed pretty heavily. She jumped up on my body that was hidden under the covers and that's when it occurred to me, that as far as Zoie's concerned, sometimes I have a head and full body and sometimes I have just a head, when my body is covered by the blanket. We take it for granted that my body would be under the covers, but does a dog think the same way? How much credit should we give these furry four legged friends? Food for thought.

Mel
10/17/08

No comments: