Monday, October 20, 2008

They Walk Amongst us!

I spent a little time today with a headache laden Jules. On her to do list was to get her oil changed and I recently discovered that the last time she went to do this tedious task, the rip off artist that worked at Midas Muffler sold her no less than $400 worth of ridiculous things to keep her on the road for the next 3000 miles. Not knowing better and foolishly trusting the salesman, she bit and wrote the check for what should have cost about 20 to 30 bucks. I used to change her oil for free, but that was another time in our lives, when crawling under a truck was easier.

After taking her to a horrible lunch at What-a-Burger, I grabbed my $2 Diet Coke and took it with us. Why is What-a-Burger so proud of Mustard? As we were driving her truck down the road, Julie pointed out the Midas Muffler that surgically removed her wealth and told me to turn in. Ignoring her, as I knew I certainly would have a melt-down if I was to get close to that whore house and the tramps that worked there. Can you believe they tried to sell her a water pump, since she didn't know how old hers was? Just across the street from Midas was Jiffy Lube and although they can remove your savings account quite methodically, I was there to police them. We pulled in and were immediately approached by one of the 6 employees that were standing around doing nothing. Julie even commented on the fact that their break was over because of us. A young man that was unkempt to be polite spoke to us without making any sort of eye contact and was evidently reciting from a script. "Hello and welcome to Jiffy Lube, blah, blah, blah..." I stopped him and told him we were there for an oil change, nothing else. Frustrated, he looked down and said to initial the waiving of the air filter box. We did. We went inside to wait and after about 2 minutes, our crew-cutted technician called us back out to the oil rack. Let the selling begin! Her truck has 103K miles on it and it should have had it's fuel filter changed every 30,000 miles, how many times have we changed it? I told him 4, the last time we were here we changed it twice just to be on the safe side. Again I repeated, we are here for an oil change only. That's when he took out his chart and priced out the oil with the best oil being synthetic and costing around $70. I laughed and pointed to the cheap old oil for a mind altering $43. Yikes, Jiffy Lube has come a long, long way! We went back to wait for about 5 minutes and laughed our asses off at the sales approach. They called us and our new cashier was a guy that was about 20 minutes past puberty that resembled the Incredible Hulk. This greasy faced kid was enormous wearing shorts below his knees that were hanging way to low on his hips. With each step I worried about a falling of the pants. He took Julie's credit card and rang up the profitable purchase when suddenly I recognized one of the tattoos that was engraved on his upper inner arm, because it was in Hebrew. I stopped him and asked him what the Hebrew symbols meant and if he even knew. This kid was the image of "redneck" and there was no way I figured him for a Jewish boy. He lifted his other arm and flexed them and recited, "The Lord is my Rock". A chill ran down my spine. Although tattoos are against the Jewish religion, this new generation of Jew not only wears tattoos, but flaunts it! I don't think that either the kid or the Lovely Jules noticed the tear in my eye..

Mel
10/20/08

No comments: