Monday, May 18, 2009

My New, Rather Personal, Great Habit...


I'm not exactly sure how I got to the point in life where I've become a slug, but I don't like it here and am doing something about it. Oh I remember, some renegade, under rested, inadequate doctor from India, stabbed me in the heart with a medical probe. That's what did it, now it's my job to pick up the pieces of what's left of me and make a person. It's over 4 years, but as time goes by I become more and more complacent and just settle into my current role as human slug. My old routine was to stay up late watching whatever movie or talk show or infomercial that still kept the TV lit up and sleep until whatever hour seemed comfortable, then make my way to the kitchen to plug in the coffee and doze off while it brews. I often didn't find myself showering for the day until noon or 2 PM. During those few hours until my shower, I'd sit in front of the computer reading tasteless jokes about repetitious subjects, forwarding them to people that were required to delete them. In other words, a computer junkie!

The new me ascends the stairs at a reasonable hour, somewhere between 10 and 11 and reads for a time and reaches up and flips off the light. Here is the new and improved Mel. I still don't set an alarm and still have no reason to awaken at 6:37, but get up around 7 AM and go immediately to the shower, where I let the hot water do my awakening. By the time I've shaved and washed my hair, I hop out, dry my hair and dance down the stairs ready for the day. Oddly I found myself at the DMV registering the car for the gentleman that bought it at 8 :30 AM, only to find out the entire world is up and ready at that hour. At 10:30 AM, I was in El Mirage returning a leftover pair of shoes to a friend. Good karma. In other words, no more luxury of sitting around the house. It seems the new me is just like the old me, out there getting it done.

My goal for this week is to get that old Corvette in my garage up and running. That's easier said than done, as my mechanic is a human slug.

No comments: