Saturday, June 19, 2010

Telephone Talk...


Since the onset of cellular phones, I have managed to stay about 10 steps behind the trends. In 1987, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, a cell phone or a camcorder. I thought for a second and said, "A camcorder, when would I ever use a cellular phone?" My theory was, with all of the pay phones on every corner, why in the world would anyone want a cell phone. So, she got me a camcorder that I managed to use about 6 months, then it was borrowed and NEVER ever returned. I loaned it t my son whose reply was, "Oh, that thing, it broke so I threw it out". (That meant he sold it.)

About 2 years later I bought a used Diamontel cellular phone for about $400 from a friend that paid $2800. I still wasn't sure those things were gonna catch on, ya know? But I figured for that discounted price, I'd try one out. It was rectangular and was about the size of a shoe box and weighed about 4 lbs. The only way you could carry it, was on a wrist band that was supplied by the phone, but I did notice my right arm getting longer. One memorable situation that occurred, was when I entered the men's restroom at Ray Tanner Volvo and there were 3 urinals to choose from. When I entered, the two outside urinals were being used by Ray Tanner Senior and Jerry, the finance manager. I approached and used the center urinal when out of nowhere, my cell phone rang and it was my wife. She said hello, what are you doing? Not knowing just how to explain the situation without disclosing too much, I simply replied, "Hanging out with the guys"! Let the laughter begin....

Everyone was using the Motorola cell phones by then and I wanted one too. I sold my 3rd hand Diamontel to a guy that had the same exact phone for $200. He wanted it for parts! I don't think a month went by and my business partner bought a new Motorola phone that was about 1/2 the size of mine, rendering mine "old news".

The years flew by and whatever phone I had, there was ALWAYS a better, newer one that everyone said I should have gotten. Damn! One day, out of frustration, I canceled my Alltel service because of poor reception and they kept telling me my phone was not in their service after 12 years with them. I went to Cricket, because Maaco Mike used Cricket and was satisfied with their discounted service and Mickey Mouse phone. I refer to those days as my Tunnel Days. Whoever I spoke with would ask if I were in a tunnel and the service area in Phoenix was just that, IN PHOENIX ONLY. The moment you crossed into another city, your phone stayed in Phoenix. I struggled with Cricket for about 2 years, it was cheap and I wasn't going anywhere to speak of, but the time I went to Chicago, I was reduced to borrowing phones and using pay phones, which by the way are about a dollar now.By the time I went to Florida, this last March, I broke down and retired my hand crank Cricket phone with a dial, for a Blackberry Bold. It has email, texting, Blackberry Messenger, the Internet and will babysit the kids on Saturday night! Who could ask for more? Even the Lovely Jules was impressed and went so far as to say her own phone depressed her.

When I arrived in Florida with new Blackberry Bold, my friend Barry said, New phone, you should have gotten an iPhone, he had just moved up to a Droid! As his Droid chirped and Tweeted and rang like an old time pay phone, my Blackberry remained quiet, until suddenly it was ring-a-dinging and Beeping and playing a song. My Blackberry finally located us (in Florida of all places) and was doing it's thing. I was proud.

I flew home on the longest plane ride of my career, only to find out that the Lovely Jules had purchased a Droid while I was gone. If you follow my writing, you know that my old Buick broke down about 3 weeks ago. I towed it to my mechanic Paul. Now Paul had had a Blackberry for a couple of years and for whatever reason, I always wind up with the same phone he has. When I had the car towed to him, I made sure it got there okay and left him to his own devices, as he was busy getting a rental house that he owns ready to rent. He knows I have other cars and was in no hurry. About a week later I called and asked if he had gotten to my Buick. He asked me what I wanted to do with it. I told him I wanted him to fix, it, right? He said, fix what and then proceeded to tell me it is running fine. Humph! I couldn't get it started and was sure the fuel pump was fried. I spent $70 getting it towed there, for it to be fine, uh-uh! He said he'd check it out. Another week goes by and we have the same conversation. He keeps asking me what I want to do with it and I keep saying fix it and then we begin all over again...

This time I show up in person and ask what else it could be. Nothing he can think of and the computer shows nothing wrong. I HATE went that happens. The car stalls and leaves you stranded and when you go to fix it, it performs perfectly. I had already replaced the fuel pump about 3 years ago and this one reads good pressure. Suddenly I notice that Paul has a new phone, he's got a Droid. He says, oh yeah and begins showing me all the new and wonderful things his new phone can do. I take it from him and place it on the fender of my ailing Buick and he asks what I'm doing. I reply, "I'm seeing if it can fix my stinking car and left!"

1 comment:

Jules said...

Ha!! I kinda, sorta loved this post. How's the toothache treating ya?