Thursday, October 14, 2010

The 20 Hour Work Week...

When I was working, I tended to work a lot. I worked 7 days a week and many nights. I never tried to figure out how many hours a week I worked, but I worked enough to get the job done. I was always self employed and the more I worked, the more I could produce. However, I've never met anyone that works as much as my new lady, Susan. Susan is self employed as a seamstress. She has written contracts with a few high profile Scottsdale custom dress shops to make their dresses. When I first heard about this choice of career, I thought she could regulate her own hours, but after just being in her busy life for a few days, I've realized she is under such pressure that I am literally amazed.

For example, we spoke on the phone after a full day of texting, for about 2 hours. Whenever we speak, we talk for an extended period of time. Saturday we talked for 5 1/2 hours, until after 2 AM. We finally met on Sunday evening for a 4 hour Coke and Monday we texted and talked all day. It is Susan that single-handedly is causing me to contact AT&T for an unlimited minute plan. After speaking until about 11 PM last night, she said she was tired and still had a lot of work to do, so she was taking a nap until midnight and going back to work. That would be a one hour nap. She just worked all day, after telling me she started at 4 AM, worked until 9 and talked to me for 2 hours, so she could have a one hour nap. The following day we spoke with one another again and she told me she dreamed that she was caught up and slept until 2 AM and jerked awake to find she was way behind. Today, she worked from 2 AM until 6 PM with fittings in downtown Scottsdale and was going to go home then for another nap and something to eat. And guess what she's doing after that? Right, back to work. I love the ambition, but I haven't seen her since our first meeting on Sunday. Next Sunday we have plans for a busy day, with NO WORK!

So today I got out of the shower at 11:56 AM and noticed I had a phone call that I missed. After checking, it was Beckie from my vampire's office and I missed my 11:30 appointment and she was leaving at noon. With a loud OH SHIT, I called her back and told her I could be there in 10 minutes if she could wait? She said she would. Now I had to figure out a way to go from my house to 40th St. and Greenway while still dripping wet from the shower. I put my clothes on with me still wet and hopped into my sandals, grabbing my cell phone and keys on the way out. I put the Toyota in warp 5 and headed for the blood joint and actually made it there in 9 minutes including stopping for 3 red lights. With my hair still wet with that Pat Brady look, entered the office as Beckie was about to leave........................Whew!

After getting an iron infusion, I drove over to my third wife's house to discover that Susan lives 3 walking blocks away from her. Small town, I guess... With 5 million people here, who woulda thunk it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, could you write a bit about Susan? Is she "the One?" Will you get married, will she make your suit, will you two move in with your ex? I feel like I forgot to tape my favorite tv show...get moving and write! NMS